Top Tips to working more efficiently!
Guest blog by Anna Saunders
Running your own business is empowering, it can also at times be chaotic and sometimes mean long hours. It’s vital to remind yourself why you took that leap into self-employment, all too often you can get bogged down with the day to day admin tasks and forget to focus on the more important areas of your business. To keep focussed there are some top tips below, ensuring that your time is spent as productively as possible .
- Avoid Distractions – it is very easy to get distracted during the day, particularly by social media. Of course, it’s important to have your business present on these platforms, however those notifications popping up in the right-hand corner of your laptop quickly turn into personal reminders and not new business enquiries. If you find yourself getting distracted shut down that page and move back to focussing on your work.
- Plan your time – whether you have a paper or electronic diary, spend some time on Monday to check what needs to be done during the week and how much time you need to plan for each task. Have you factored in time to chase that great new enquiry or dealing with the all-important invoicing that’s slowly becoming urgent? Set time aside in your diary and make sure you stick to it.
- Take a walk – a UK study recently found that taking a walk can help quieten the mind and improve focus. So, even if it’s for half an hour around lunchtime, make sure you stretch your legs – it will make the afternoon far more efficient.
- Don’t postpone – tackle the boring tasks that you know you’ve been putting off first thing in the morning. That way you can look forward to the fun stuff in the afternoon (and after that lunchtime walk you’ll be soaring through the to do list!).
- Outsource! – If there really are not enough hours in the day, consider outsourcing your administrative tasks. SmartPA is a leading provider of PA, Secretarial and general business support services.
Call us today to find out how we can help you save time, so that you’re free to focus on the vital areas of your important business.
T: 01295 760916 / 07725 832230